In 1880, American Express built a new warehouse behind the Broadway Building at 46 Trinity Place.The designer is unknown, but it has a façade of brick arches that are reminiscent of pre-skyscraper New York.American Express initially established its headquarters in a building at the intersection of Jay Street and Hudson Street in what was later called the Tribeca section of Manhattan.For years it enjoyed a virtual monopoly on the movement of express shipments (goods, securities, currency, etc.) throughout New York State.The building consolidated the two lots of the former buildings with a single address: 65 Broadway.
The company's first New York headquarters was an 1858 marble Italianate palazzo at 55–61 Hudson Street, which had a busy freight depot on the ground story with a spur line from the Hudson River Railroad.
American Express has long been out of this building, but it still bears a terracotta seal with the American Express Eagle.
In 1890–91 the company constructed a new ten-story building by Edward H.
A stable was constructed in 1867, five blocks north at 4–8 Hubert Street.
The company prospered sufficiently that headquarters were moved in 1874 from the wholesale shipping district to the budding Financial District, and into rented offices in two five-story brownstone commercial buildings at 63 and 65 Broadway that were owned by the Harmony family.